ISLAMABAD: On December 20 2023, The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) commenced accepting nomination papers as political parties gear up for the general elections in Pakistan slated for February 8 2024. The process would begin with the electoral body initiating the swearing-in of district returning officers (DROs) and returning officers (ROs) as per the Elections Act 2017.
According to guidelines laid out by ECP, the fee for filing nomination papers for the National Assembly seat stood at Rs30,000 and for the Provincial Assembly Rs20,000. One candidate can submit five nomination papers at their respective RO office till December 22 2023.
As per the ECP announcement, a candidate has to fulfil the following criteria to participate in the elections:
- The candidate has to be a Pakistani citizen.
- The age limit is 25 or above at the time of submission.
- Candidates of National Assemblet can belong to any part of Pakistan.
- Candidates of the provincial assembly must hail from the respective province.
- If a candidate is a woman, she must be a registered voter within the concerned province.
Other key notifications by ECP were:
- The preliminary list of candidates will be public on December 23 2023.
- The scrutiny process will take place from December 24 to 30.
- Appeals against acceptance or rejection would be accepted in January 2024 and decisions would be public by January 10 2024.
- The revised list of candidates will be disclosed on January 11.
- Nominations could be withdrawn till January 12.
- Election symbols will be allotted on slated January 13.